Monday, January 15, 2018

If anything be a voice #metoo

Dear Governor Cuomo,
             My name is Kimberly M. Edwards and I am not just a U.S. Citizen, but since the age of four a resident here of Tompkins County. I am writing in regards to an attempt to amend the clause of Probable Cause in the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution. I am by far not familiar with the law, although in 8th Grade Social studies I learned each amendment by heart and at that time, the Constitution meant nothing to me, but a test I would get an “A” on which I did by the way. I also at the time was taught that it was there to protect us, only to grow and become a victim of numerous sexual assaults and realize that the test I studied so hard for was protecting all the wrong people. Don’t get me wrong I completely comprehend the reason for Due process and the desire for probable cause. As I have tried to understand it does say and I quote “The belief must be based on factual evidence, not just on suspicion.”  https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/probable-cause-searches.html

            Obviously, this quote has had a major impact on my life and I believe it is more than safe to assume that I am not the only voice that has been silenced due to this clause. Perhaps I have it wrong, because when giving my personal statement along with plenty of evidence it seemed that I had enough to move forward with a criminal case. The Distract Attorney of Tompkins County turned down my case due to one line which they said “should not have been put in my statement.” So, because the officers of our City are not all trained on how to take a victim’s statement I was unable to go to court and be represented despite the fact that the one piece of evidence they were concerned about was going to cause them to lose. Another quote from them “a case we take to court must have enough evidence that we have a 99%-1% chance of winning Sarcasm present, but do these people get a trophy or something? Governor, I am a strong woman if you couldn’t already tell by the fact I am writing you. I was willing to go to court despite the odds. To me with witness’s those chances may have not been 99% in my favor, but definitely more than 75%. But that is nor here nor there. Because of this clause in the fourth amendment I was unable to go to court and use my voice to tell my story and I know I am not the only one. I’m not writing to you just for myself, but for all those who haven’t even had the opportunity to share what was theirs. A story, a memory and what turned out to be a digression in my own mental health and probably many others. What this clause is doing is silencing people. Keeping them from coming forward, because unless your assault is on camera it’s almost impossible to prove. Do these attorneys consider what they do to victims who are brave enough to step up? Yes, I know we have take back the night put on by the great Advocacy Center and the #metoo campaign, but it’s not enough.
I want to tell you how broken I am, but broken doesn’t win, a person whom is brave, courageous, strong and determined enough despite their flaws and hurt are the people that make a change in this world. I used to think, okay maybe that’s not pretense, but I question often “What is my purpose here?” I feel like I am walking around with a sticker on my head that says “rape me” just because I learned kindness before the Constitution and people take advantage of it. They are getting away with it left and right. So, on behalf of myself and all other victims I hope there is something you can do to help me make probable cause less than a percentage an attorney needs to win, but based on stories, evidence and even the questioning of the defendant. My assailment was not even brought in. Perhaps I watch too much SVU, but what they are doing works. They show the evidence brought in and more often than not the defendant confesses. If you have any questions about the evidence that I had feel free to contact me personally. I have nothing to lose sadly. But on the other hand, I also have so much to gain.

            Sincerely,

Kimberly M. Edwardshttps://youtu.be/9RKl0qBHmME

No comments:

Post a Comment