Friday, April 7, 2017

I am a Product

I am a product.

No, not that kind, not the kind that can be bought
For there is no price tag large enough to show the world I am worth it
My talents, my beauty, intelligence, creativity
Most importantly my love for the human kind
No matter their religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, shape or size
I am a product.
Born in the city of Baltimore, brought up by a village
Loved by so many for reasons I have yet to understand
My past a road block I thought kept me sheltered
But won’t allow self-acceptance to get in
I am fighting with my shadow, loathing my reflection
I tango with the Devil and twerk to Rhianna, pop lock and drop it
I am a product.
Of a future close enough for me to grasp
It’s not a dream it is reality that I can be whatever I want to be
If I stopped letting anxiety and pain get the best of me
It’s right there Kim, it’s right there you just have to reach
Tangled up in a metaphorical chain
Screaming, crying as I put my fist through the wall
Yank the Christmas light from the ceiling now sitting in the dark
I rock back and forth
I am a product.
Hey girl, I see you trying to disappear
Sinking like the Titanic, holding on to whatever you can
You don’t really want to die. You are just hurting it’s okay
Let it out, cry.
Stop it now! Back away from the toilet, no more jumping jacks
He didn’t rape you due to size
That’s on him girl, I know you tried to fight
And although you continue to starve in attempt to rid imaginary filth
Baby girl I still see you.
I am a product.
“All my life I had to fight” a different shade than the color purple
Demons oh demons telling me I am the nothing but my past
As a vicious cycle of memories on repeat
Girls scream, your nothing but a slut as they throw pens at me
I sit there seemingly un-phased
Wondering when there will be better days
I shrink into my chair until I can’t take it anymore
Run out of the classroom and make my way to the corner
Light it up, cancer stick lucky number 7
Security guard asks “what are you doing?”
I reply “securing my lungs a spot in heaven”
I am a product.
Once a gymnast always a gymnast
My life is upside down and I’m proud cause not everyone
Not everyone can rely on their hands to carry them through
I am strong like bull, built like my mother, wise from appreciated knowledge
No thanks to college
I am a product.
Always fighting with myself as if I am the enemy
Nothing I do is good enough, that’s what I tell myself
But look at me now, published author, loving mother
To a cat
Adulting on a whole nother level
Like I said I am fighting with the devil
As I am blinded by fear, fear of failing at something
I haven’t even tried
Like living life in recovery and accepting my size
Loving what my body can do for me, such hate towards my thighs
When they are simply a reminder every time they rub together
That I am alive
I am a product
Of God’s creation, everything about me designed within His favor
A little quirky, outspoken, loud, funny, wise, thinking outside the box
Standing up for what I believe in, even if I am the only one
I have nothing to lose but so much to gain
I’ll repeat again and again
I am a product of God’s creation
And if I really loved Jesus the way I say I do
I wouldn’t harm myself in so many way
But I could love myself more too
Because I am also a product of however I choose to shape my life
And oh boy am I going to conquer!

©Kim Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment