Thursday, September 29, 2016

7:24 a part of Dear Deena


Dear Deena,

Today was my first time losing a patient. I think it was somewhat a blessing in disguise because I had never encountered him before but as I was passing food trays today I realized he was having difficulty breathing and I asked the nurse. She told me he was actively dying and my response was if I could sit with him until my shift ended. So I sat there and played my favorite soothing music by Kenny G, I thought he might recognize him. I stroked his hand and his head and let me him know it was okay and that he wasn’t alone. I prayed for him and asked the Lord that you and him would find each other and that he would tell you hi for me. I hope he heard me. While the woman opened the window so his spirit could be set free I came home and closed mine dauntingly thinking his spirit might get lost and fly into my window haha. Silly superstition, I probably made it up. Anyway I have been thinking a lot about you lately more so than normal. I think my reasoning for staying was partially because I didn’t get the chance to do that with you and that perhaps it would help me find some closure being a part of the entire experience. It’s heart breaking but also such an honor to be with someone during their last moments. I didn’t want him to be alone any more than I wanted that for you so in a weird way it felt much like a do over. The whole process though reminded me of you and the work you did. I am sure in your field you saw so much of the same type of things. The process is amazing, watching someone try so hard to hold on, but reminding them that it’s okay. Sometimes a suffering person needs to just hear aloud that it’s okay to let God and let God. There was another resident that has been taking about much of my time and although a great part of me wanted to be with him to help ease his anxiety and comfort him I just felt it in my heart that this stranger that was someone’s dad, grandfather, uncle etc…needed me more. Perhaps that was a sign from you. My best friend has lately been telling me “Kim don’t ignore the signs, Deena is talking to you and reaching out to you in different ways, and when you are unsure, just trust your gut and Deena that is what I did. I trusted my gut that this man needed my company and my love and that’s exactly what I gave him. Finding closure in his process I think may have helped me find some closure with your passing, but then again that just might be my mind overworking. Only time will tell and if I am blessed to have much more of it I will surely let you know. I love you dearly. Please do your best to show this man around as he is headed your way.

 

As his chest rose like the sun

With restraint I then prayed

God will you please take the discomfort away

And as I stroked his hand and rubbed his head

I thought not only of him

But you my dear friend

Hoping that in his last breath and slow close of his lids

You would show him the palace where angels now live

I would not change these actions

And that is for sure, while one door was closing

Heaven’s opened again On September, 29 TOD 7:24

©Kim Edwards


 

No comments:

Post a Comment